Hey ya’ll (I learned people in Philly say ‘ya’ll’, and it made me happy. The fact that I spent the weekend in Philly now gives me the right to say ‘ya’ll’, too, I think.)!
Sorry I’ve been MIA for a while, I was away cheering my friends on at the Philadelphia Winter Warmer CrossFit competition. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to heal fast enough to participate. I still had a great time, though, and my friends kicked ass!
We stayed in Old City, Philadelphia, and it was AWESOME. Being in the same place, the same buildings, even the same rooms where our country was founded is amazing. These guys are obsessed with Ben Franklin (who I now strictly refer to as BF.. we’re on that level). I mean, he’s literally everywhere.
I really did try my absolute hardest to get my hand better. I iced for 48 hours, then alternated heat and ice. I was on Aleve or Ibuprofen around the clock for a full week. I kept my hand and wrist wrapped in an ace bandage for 8 days. I upped my fish oil and started taking turmeric, magnesium, and vitamin C. I slept as much as I could, day and night, for 7 days, while trying to keep my hand elevated. But, here I sit, with a hand that’s still swollen, discolored, and still not capable of picking up a pitcher of water or unzipping my weekend bag. This means two things: 1) I’m finally going to give in and get myself to a doctor, and 2) I am guilty of some emotional eating this weekend.
I KNOW there will be more competitions. I KNOW this wasn’t a huge, once in a lifetime event. I KNOW it’s more important for me to totally heal before I make myself worse. I know all these things, but it didn’t make it easier for me to sit on the sidelines. I was sad, and sad Gaby likes Cheesesteaks. I know, I know… I’m on the Whole30. It was bad. But it happened, and we are moving on. Today is day 13, and other than day 11 and 12, I’ve been sticking to the Whole30 100% and will continue to do so.
Enough of this emotional ranting. Ready for a recipe?
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 3 lbs pork butt (it is, in fact, as much fun to order as you would think. Yes, I am 3 years old)
- 3-4 cups beef stock
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 3-4 celery stalks, chopped
- 10 sun dried tomatos, chopped
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Mix your salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder together and rub onto pork booty. Let that sit in the fridge for an hour or so.
- When you’re ready, throw everything into the slow cooker. These things are genius and fool proof. I swear.
- Put your stock, veggies, and meat into the slow cooker and cook on slow for about 8 hours.
- Take pork out and shred with 2 forks.
- Marvel at the gloriousness you created and enjoy!
There are many, many Whole30 recipes on the way. Don’t give up on me!